When switch send spanning tree updates those updates are sent in BPDUs
(bridge protocol data units). The BPDU will have a source mac address
associated with the originating switch/VLAN number. If a switch recieves
multiple BPDUs that indicate the same root cost it will pick the one which
came from the switch with the lowest (I'm pretty sure it's lowest and not
highest but I may be wrong) MAC address. There is also a port priority
which I believe (I'm not sure) can be configured to aid in the selection of
the root port

At 09:01 AM 02/06/2001 -0600, Jim Dixon wrote:
>Hi Nathan,
>
>Have you read Radia Perlman's Interconnections.  There are two.
>The second edition I believe is the latest.
>She wrote spanning tree.  This book does cover it in detail.
>ISBN# 0201634481
>
>At the time I looked Amazon had a used one in GOOD condition for 15 bucks.
>(FYI)

Tom Pruneau
Trainer Network Operations

GENUITY
3 Van de Graff Drive Burlington Ma. 01803
24 Hr. Network Operations Center 800-436-8489
If you need to get a hold of me my hours are 8AM-4PM ET Mon-Fri