As you all have mentioned PAT is a many to one
scenerio vs. NAT a one-to-one.  Be careful with these
terms, some people don't use the word PAT and NAT
means different things to different people (masking,
spoofing....) PAT is generally a Cisco used phrase.

But why use NAT vs. PAT?

Well though it is very atrractive to use PAT
(many-to-one) it is limited in it's use.  Things like
H.323 and IPsec have issues with PAT.  Though there
has been some fixes for items like H.323 and others
there are still issues with IPsec clients accessing
end-points from behind PAT.  So in the perfect world,
use NAT.  That is if you have enough address space and
the time to put in static mappings for each node.  In
the real world use PAT and make NAT available for
nodes that require it i.e. externally accessable boxes
and nodes needing to run unsupported apps.

Also it is only a claim and a mathematical possibility
that PAT can support 64k connections.  In reallity the
ports are broken down into ranges (for example, all
port 80 traffice will be assinged to ports 1-200,
again just an example and a guess.)  Look thorugh
Cisco NAT/PAT docs for the actual REAL limitations.

Moe Tavakoli.

--- Santosh Koshy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NAT like u said is a one to one translation between
> the external IP and the
> internal one (at its purest form)
> When u use NAT overloading u r also using PAT, hence
> u really cannot compare
> the two....They work in cunjunction
>
> I personally like to think of PAT as what most
> people refer to as NAT
> &
> I like to think of NAT as just a fancy term for IP
> Spoofing
>

> ""Richie, Nathan"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in message

> > Can someone tell me any benefits to using NAT
> instead of PAT?  I know with
> > PAT, you can translate up to 64,000 addresses, but
> with NAT it is one to
> > one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nathan Richie