You have the basic idea.  the Local Director
load-balances per packet.  Now you are talking about 2
servers behind the LD and you want the same user
(session) to continue to go to the same server till
the  transaction is complete (usually do to the fact
that the server keeps the session ID and tracks it,
very common.)  What you will need to use is the STICKY
command.  This command will allow you to send a
certain client session to the same "real" server.
So once you create your 1 virtual server and 2 real
servers type in the sticky command and apply it to the
Virtual address.  There are foure ways that the box
will do the sticky:

IP:  Based on source and destination of the request.
The problem here would be in the case your users are
coming from a PAT.  Lets say you have one large user
base coming in with the same source.  The LD would
send these requests from that IP to one real (thinking
it's the same session.) This could get in the way of
actual load balancing.  But th egood thing is that it
works and is very easy to configure and make sure it
works.

SSL:  This is the other sticky type which has been
supported since aleast ver. 4.4.  This tracks the SSL
session ID and makes sure the client with the same SSL
Session ID keeps going back to the same server.  This
had some problems with a couple of IE4.? vers, where
the browser would request a new SSL ID too soon (the
SSL TTL on the browser was set to small.)

App Cookie:  This was introduced in the 5.? releases.
This allows you to define a session based on the
cookie yor app gives to the session.  This is assuming
that you use Cookies.  If your using cookies this is a
pretty solid solution, though it is a bit slower than
the previous two.

LD Cookie:  Released along witht the previous.  You
also have the option of having the LD assign cookies
to the traffic (a great option when your app doesn't)
Again this is a bit slower than the first two.

On the cluster issue, remember that the cluster has a
single VIP and this is the way it should be accessed.
It will do it's own load-balancing (hopefully.) So the
LD would be useless in this case, unless you have two
sets of clusters that you'd like to load-balance.

When installing also look at the way the LD is doing
it's load-balancing.  By default it is set to
least-conn.  That means the unit with the least amount
of open connections gets the request.  This may or may
not be the right one for you, so read into them and
apply it to your scenerio.

Remember that your install is a very basic one:
You need to set the management IP
Set the Virt
Set the Real
Bind them
Set your sticky
The Default Gateway
and plug two interfaces to separate VLANS.
(I think thats it!)

Also remember that the LD is a bridge (and never
bridge it) the servers behind it use the same address
space as the network in-front of it and use the
default gateway of the network in-front of the LD.

I hope that helps, I'm sure I would spew out some more
if my fingers weren't tired!

Moe Tavakoli

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====