Bob, Phil - and the group.....

Thanks for the input, gives me more to think about.

Some more history..........

This router is a 3620 with OC3 and FastEthernet interfaces.  It has 48 meg
and is running 12.0(5)XK1.

According to Cisco's docs, the 3620 should be able to handle around 20-40
kpps.

However, the router shows only around 2.6 kpps almost evenly split in/out.

I have been unable to verify exactly on CCO but I suspect that a 3620 cannot
handle (very well) two high-speed interfaces - more specifically if one is
OC3.

I have found info where Cisco, when talking about the OC3 interface for the
3600 series stated:

"Max two high-speed network modules in a Cisco 3640 (includes Fast Ethernet,
ATM, HSSI)"

Now the 3640 has a 100mhz processor and the 3620 has a 80 mhz processor.

I'm wondering if the SAR process is overwhelming the 3620?  I'm sure I read
someplace that only one high-speed interface was recommended for the 3620
but I haven't found that info again.

Considering the low level of traffic, what else could be keeping the cpu
utilization up so high?  Need more info..... let me know!

Kevin Wigle