I just checked CCO and there are so many CPU-related bugs in 12.0(5) that I stopped
counting after a while.  You might want to upgrade, if feasible.

Also, try doing a show align to see if you're getting spurious memory access errors.
One of the bugs mentioned a high CPU usage due to these.

HTH,
John

http://www.shopping.altavista.com