I've been reading through the Sybex BCRAN book and have a few "quick"
questions:

     First, I understand the theoretical difference between Autoconfigure
and Autodiscovery, but in the book, it appears that the different commands
do the same thing. For Autoconfigure, the book says "The modem autoconfigure
command is used to instruct the router to use this feature. This feature
will detect the type of modem connected to the router and then supply the
initialization string to the modem-- a process that can require up to five
seconds."
     It sounds as if the modem autoconfigure command also performs
autodiscovery functions. Did they really mean to say that the command is
modem autoconfigure modem_type  ?

     The second question that I have involves RTS and CTS. The stated
function of RTS from the book is "Request to send is one of the two hardware
flow control wires. It signals that the DTE can receive data from the DCE.
This depends on having sufficient buffers available." The states function of
CTS from the book is "Clear to send is the second hardware flow control
wire, and it signals that the DCE is ready to receive from the DTE." I
previously thought that there were two steps to hardware flow control using
RTS and CTS. I used to think that the sending side would first send a RTS
message to the receiving side, and in turn the receiving side would send a
CTS message so that the sending side would know that the receiving side was
ready for data. The thing that gets me with their explanation is that they
say that CTS is used by the DCE saying that it is ready to receive, and RTS
is used by the DTE saying that it is ready to receive. My impression from
this explanation is that it is a one step process, but I still dont see how
this would work. How does it really work??

My third question is: What exactly is the difference between ISDN PRI and a
leased line T1??

And Finally, my last question is: How the heck do they get the number 1.544
Mbs for the speed of a T1? When I multiply 24 (# of B channels) by 64Kbs I
get 1536kbs. 1536Kbs converted to Mbs (1536/1024)is 1.500 Mbs! Where are the
other 0.44 Mbs at??

If anyone can answer atleast one of the questions, please do. I know that
I'm digging real deep here, but thats how I learn best. Thanks.

Fred Danson