At 03:09 PM 2/13/01, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>You are correct that both autodiscovery (for LANs) and autoconfigure
>(for modems) both do things necessary to get the physical and data
>link layers to work. The interface types and protocols are very
>different, and were in all probability developed by different people
>who didn't talk to one another.  As far as I can tell, CLI developers
>have no equivalent of Martha Stewart as arbiter of good taste and
>grammar.

I'm afraid you are right about there being no Martha Stewart for the CLI.
The CLI is not consistent or intuitive, and it can be confusing. Sometimes
there are hyphens and sometimes there aren't. Sometimes there are key words
followed by a parameter, and sometimes you can just enter the parameter.
Words (such as autoconfigure) get used inconsistently. Archaic words, such
as arpa and iso, are still used as parameters.

I used to work with a documentation writer at Cisco who made it her mission
to report bugs in CLI consistency, but she was fighting a losing battle.
Cleaning up the CLI was not considered a feasible or important job. She
moved to Juniper. Seriously. I am a major fan of Cisco products, but their
CLI can be confusing to learn.

Priscilla