I think the answer to your question is no. The only password that you can
set on the 1900 is the enable password/secret ...
Pierre-Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Leigh Anne Chisholm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 2:09 PM
To: Pierre-Alex; Dale Cunningham
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MORE TECHNICAL DETAILS ON PROBLEM SOLVED: VTY LINES NON
EXISTENT!!!! :

Pierre,

I see that Jorge Moreira managed to answer your question about vty passwords
on the Cisco Catalyst 1900 series switch.  What threw me (and Rik as well)
was your inclusion of "XL" after 1912--the Cisco Catalyst 1912 (and 1924)
switches are not part of the XL series.  I needed a few minutes to make sure
that Cisco hadn't come out with a new XL series switch for which I was
unaware before I re-responded to your query.

As you've discovered, Jorge is correct--it's the "enable" password on the
Catalyst 1900 series switch that is used to enable telnet access.  But since
we're discussing password usage on the 1900 series... here's a bit of a
brainteaser for you, the answer for which I had included in last month's
CCNA LAN Switching paper on CertificationZone:

You'll notice that when you access your Catalyst switch via the console
port, that without issuing any sort of password, you're immediately able to
access several commands on the switch -- you've immediately got access to
"user mode".  In some organizations, this can present a security risk.  Can
you set a "user-mode" password for the Catalyst 1900 series switch?  If so,
how?

  -- Leigh Anne