what i think you are saying is a bit off the mark.....

let me try and explain what i THINk your saying.

you said
>I am reading for the CIT exam and I saw something in the book
>that seems alittle bit strange:
>It says that in the   sh int serial 2/3    command the bandwidth =
>parameter is
>    used to compute IGRP metrics only.
>Does this means that we don't care (if we don't play with IGRP

under the sh int serial command the bandwidth statment says the total
bandwidth availible out that port ....if under igrp you only have a 256k
line connecting to this port ...AND you use the bandwidth command to say use
50% it will use 50% of what the serial port is set to .....in this case 2048
(50% of this is 1024)

>Does this means that we don't care (if we don't play with IGRP

depends....
OSPF...EIGRP...IGRP.... iwould say yes we do .
BGP...... i would say not really (but i know i`m going to get shouted at for
saying that)
RIP...`course not

>what is =
>the speed=20
>of the connected line? Lets say that if we have an E1 line and the BW is =
>256kbps,
>the interface will play on 2048kbps ?
>I think that it will play on 256kbps.

i`ve never heard of this "speed" command "bandwidth" YES..so i`m afraid i
can`t comment ...

ANYONE.....

HTH steve