>On May 31,  9:58pm, anthony kim wrote:
>} --- John Nemeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>} > }
>} > } Is a real router a device which routes layer 3 packets? Or a
>} > device
>} > } "specifically designed" to route layer 3 packets. Your statement
>} > } implies the latter. Whereas I believe the former.

For years, it has served me well to say there is no such thing as a router.

At a minimum, there are route determination processes and packet
forwarding processes.  There may be lower-layer-specific supporting
processes such as LDP for MPLS, dialing for DDR, ATM UNI and NNI,
RSVP, etc.

Forwarders may also do traffic shaping, packet filtering, etc.  Route
processes do route filtering.

Often, these processes share a chassis, or even a processor. In
high-performance layer 3 relays, they often are separate:  RSP vs.
VIP in a 7500, an external MLS server for a 5000 NFFC, or the
Unix/RsD route server + edge routers (often 7500's) + layer 2 fabric
(ATM, GE, etc.) at an exchange point.

In a 2500, they are all in the same processor, but the logic is separate.