At 10:19 AM 2/15/01, Robert Nickson wrote:
>sorry for OSPF

You should have left out that extra piece of information that the packets
you mention are for OSPF, and anyone who didn't know that should go back to
studying. &;-) This is an odd way of saying that you would have to know at
least that much for the routing exam. You don't have to know the exact
frame formats. It's must more important to understand the general
principles of how OSPF routers become adjacent and synchronize their
databases, and to be able to recognize the commonality in the frame formats.

With regards to frame formats, I think you should know the following:

OSPF runs directly above IP, using protocol type 89. (It does not use TCP
or UDP.)

OSPF packets have an IP TTL of 1.

OSPF packets are sent to a reserved multicast address, either AllSPFRouters
(224.0.0.5) or AllDRouters (224.0.0.6).

Each OSPF packet type begins with an OSPF packet header.

The Hello packet is used to find neighbors and detect problems.

All the other packet types carry link-state advertisement information of
some sort.

The best book for describing what you should "really care about" when
learning OSPF is Howard Berkowitz's "Designing Routing and Switching
Architectures." I think he does a better job than Doyle in making sure the
reader focuses on what really matters. And, as we know, he dispels urban
myths with style and aplomb.

Priscilla