Actually, this isn't really a troubleshooting trick, but a potential fix for
a modem that is locked up.  We came in at 4:30 this morning to do some
intrusive testing that would take down every automated teller machine in our
network for the length of the test.  We went through the first steps in the
process which took everything down, and then tried to dial in to a remote
router that we were testing with.  One problem...the modem would answer, or
at least pick up, but then would not do anything. It seemed to be completely
hung.

This was a bad thing.  If we didn't do the test today, we'd have to come in
again tomorrow morning at 4:30 and none of us were looking forward to that.
While pondering our options, I thought of something:  call the modem using a
regular phone and just start punching buttons on the phone when the modem
answers.  My reasoning was that maybe some bursty noise would wake it up.

We tried it, and to our *great* surprise it actually worked!  So, if you
ever have a hung modem and there's no one around to reset it, give this a
try.

Regards,
John