Hi,

With difficulty if no port is available for that type of use.

Most switches support some sort of monitor type port not always called span.  Some
gear might call it a monitor port some of the older cat stuff had a port out the back.
 Cabletron did it differently but it boiled down to the same thing as span but a
different name.  Some switches allow or have what they term as an RMON probe port this
will often allow the same as span.

Some unfortunatley have nothing.  You can however often work out what is happening by
RMON, SNMP or console type stats.  In some cases I have used a little hub on the port
I needed to 'span' plugged the switch and the sniffer into the hub.

Just some thoughts

Teunis
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia