From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 5:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Setting up E1 for a Sniffer?

>   HI all
>
>     I have a problem here, I am running  all my computers and servers to
my
>switch. I have E1 open open on my Cisco 4000 router, I would like to
>configure my E1 interface so I can put my Sniffer on that interface, so I
can
>capture all the packet comimg and going?

If by "open" you mean that your Ethernet 1 port is not currently in use,
then there aren't any packets coming and going on it. You wouldn't see
anything on the port. I guess you could configure it for bridging and then
you would at least see broadcasts, but that seems like a silly idea.

It sounds like you're wishing for something like a SPAN port. Keep in mind
that SPAN is for switching, not routing.

Your best bet might be to install a hub between your switch and router.
Connect the switch, router, and Sniffer to the hub and you'll see lots of
good stuff. (I'm assuming your switch is directly connected to your
router??)

Hope that makes sense. Without more knowledge of your topology it's hard to
make any other suggestions.

Priscilla