It's been about a year since I used the LD but.

As long as you are doing intelligent destination NAT (what the LD does)
the "reals" can be many hops away as long as the return flow goes through
the LD also.

For HA I once setup a group of reals behind one firewall pair and another
group of reals behind another firewall pair.

You just have to use NAT and not the L2 redirection method of dispatch
mode.

-kirk