sylvia,

Just curious, what kind of firewall are you using in
the backend ??

you can achieve load balancing for the backend servers

by doing the following (depending on the firewalls)

((assuming the local director subnet you are using is
in the public ip address space ))

1) doing "proxy" on the firewall, lets say that you
have
three backend servers (x,y & z) that offer the same
service (http/https 80/443) you can configure the
firewall such that x,y & z (80/443) all translate to
an ip address on the local director subnet "a
(80/443)".
when internet user(s) hit the url that points to "a"
(provided dns entry is configured for specific
url="a")
the request will be sent to the firewall and the
firewall will do the loadbalancing for you.

2) you can do static one to one NAT across the
firewall, that is z,y & z will become a2,a3 & a4.
then create a vip on the local director, binds the vip
to a2, a3 & a4, in this case the local director will
do the load balancing for you.
(of course, the dns entry for that specific url must =
the vip's ip address)

best of luck
henry

--- "Elaluf, Sylvia," <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>