Let's try to insert a note of reality here, as the reality aspect of
simulation hasn't been discussed in a while.  There are discussions
in the archives.

(shaking myself briefly...am I really discussing the reality of
virtual routers and virtual labs?)

A software simulator behaves as if it is the software it is
simulating. It is not limited to predefined scenarios. Think of
Virtual PC on the Mac.  There are _no_ IOS simulators commercially
available.  Probably the closest thing (non-Cisco) that runs on a PC
platform is Juniper's Olive, which still would have limitations
(e.g., simulating hardware).  There certainly are router
implementations that run on PCs and Macs, but they aren't IOS--but
they are perfectly viable for simulating other routers talking to an
IOS router or switch.

Simulators, unless they can guarantee large sales volumes (e.g., the
PC emulators for the Mac), tend to be very expensive -- indeed, more
expensive than what they are simulating. Think about the complexity
they need -- they either have to run both their internal simulation
function PLUS whatever they are simulating, or there has to be a
well-defined interface such that the simulator can provide a
simulated platform to the main software.  In the case of UNIX, MacOS,
etc., there are well-defined interfaces to the kernel. IOS wasn't
developed with that sort of portability in mind.

A true simulator of IOS would need to be more like an in-circuit
emulator used in real-time software development.  Since Cisco
products use a good deal of custom hardware, that needs to be
emulated as well.

Another reality--there isn't truly ONE IOS as marketing would like
you to believe.  Cisco is certainly doing a good job integrating
features from various product lines, especially products it acquired
rather than developed. But there appears to be a marketing spin that
everything Cisco does is "IOS."  Thinking of the Stratacom command
line...snort...giggle...

There are an assortment of computer-assisted training devices that
are called "simulators."  In reality, these run predefined scenarios.
They may be intelligent about showing errors, but they don't and
can't have the richness of IOS.

My own feeling is that it's better to buy old Cisco gear -- xGS,
2500, 1000, etc., if you want IOS hands-on.  Alternatively, go to a
net-accessible firm that rents time on real routers.  In my less than
humble opinion, I have technical difficulty believing that an "IOS
simulator" could do more than help learn the command interface.

But returning to the title of this thread, learning the command
interface isn't a part of qualifying for CCNP/CCIE. It's CCNA level,
which is the only place I see simulators being useful.