I think one has to assume that there is reachability via some means between the two
routers.  Sam indicates at the beginning of the section that only relevant snippets of
configs will be posted in each example and in this case I expect there are missing
items both on F and the intermediary E.  You definitely have accurately pointed out
that for multi-hop to work, one naturally requires IP reachability between the peers.

Pete