ok, I've looked at several books - just about all of them have been
discussed on this list at one time or another.....

It is amazing how many didn't address that comparison at all, but a few did.

Top-Down Network Design, pg. 294
"...for connecting devices in a LAN in a logical ring that is physically
cabled as a star......"

CCIE 350-001 Prep Kit (QUE), pg. 72
"... physical star.... logical ring..."

Then something interesting pops up:

Cisco Press CIT, pg. 46

words to the effect that: IBM specified a star topology but the IEEE 802.5
does not specify.

Which seems to be word for word from this Cisco page:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/tokenrng.htm

so maybe Lou was describing IBM's original implementation (I haven't read
that white paper) but then again the "bus" is part of 802.4 not 802.5......

On an exam I would go with "logical ring/physical star"

Kevin Wigle