Hi All,

Some companies may refer to a smart hub as one that contains both switching and hub
(repeater) capabilities.  Several organisations for example Cabletron have a chassis
with several backplanes these can be bridged via a bridging/management type card other
cards in the chassis could include a straight hub as we know it these days (a
multitport 10BaseT repeater) and/or multi port switches.  In some cases they can even
contain a router module.

Other companies say something is smart as it contains an SNMP agent.  Some refer to
smart when it has more than a basic SNMP agent.  Some agents only look at the basic
hub and not the stats for each port others may look at each port (smart).

Just some of the variations of 'smart' that are available.  Underneath the sales pitch
are the true capabilities check them.

Just some thoughts,

Teunis
Hobart, Tasmania