I think there is some confusion between ISL and IEEE 802.1q.
Remember Cisco ISL VLAN ID field is 10 bits i.e. 2^10 or 1024 possible
(0-1023)

Just *think* about how many bits in an IEEE 802.1q frame it takes to make
4096 VLANs.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/113ed_cr/s

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121