Check out the new portfast bpdu guard feature. It can shut down ports that
have portfast enabled when detecting bpdus on the line.
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: McCallum, Robert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 10:44 AM
To: 'John Chang'; 'Ccielab' (E-mail); Cisco@Groupstudy. Com (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Portfast

No,

The problem occurs if he creates a loop i.e. you have a main switch a cable
from the main switch goes to user A.  User A decides to connect a hub and a
few terminals - Outcome fine.  User B then says hey user A can you access
those terminals and the main network.  User A says yeah how do you want to
connect?  User A says yes and inadvertently patches his own pc and the
original connection that was from him to the main switch outcome is now main
switch has 2 connections to the minihub.  NOW spanning tree goes oh my and
recalculates - outcome 30 second outage for everyone on that vlan.  Then the
users go home, switch off their kit and go to the pub.
Next day..... The mini hub is switched back on - because portfast is enabled
the ports go whoosh straight into forwarding mode - result - spanning tree
goes oh my!! and recalculates.

Outcome ------ You and every other support member run about like loonies
trying to find this fault which occurs only when the user decides to switch
on his equipment.