Two factors converge to make this work.

1.)     The IP Helper address
                Converts the broadcast request to a unicast.  The destination being
the helper address, and the source address being the Router interface
that received the request *Very Important*

2.)     The NT server is configured with one interface/IP address.  A scope
is created for the directly connected network, and a scope is created
for the network on the other side of the router.  These two scopes are
bound together as one superscope. (see NT/DHCP docs for how, like all
things NT, it's just a few button-pushes).

It works in this way.  The DHCP server will assign addresses from a
scope which corresponds to the directly connected network on which the
receiving interface sits.  The superscope binds the secondary network's
scope to the directly connected networks scope, in effect, saying "it's
ok to assign addresses from this scope to requests on this other
directly connected network".

Now, to answer your question.  The source address of the forwarded
request is on the other net (remember the changed source address
above?).  In this way, the NT server knows that it should assign an
address from the other nets pool.

HTH
-S.