>"Mongol Blizzard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said,

>this was the worst test i have ever taken.

I wouldn't say it is the worst I've ever taken, or performed.  But to
put things in context, back in my medical lab days, I did have the
assignment of checking to see if tapeworm treatment was successful.
The only way to do this...ahem...is to do a detailed debug on the
output packets, looking for the head of the tapeworm.

>the questions were vague to say the least.
>the ciscopress books points u to a link for ATM ..it doesnt work.
>but pls find the ATM info for IGX/BPX and read all about slots and speeds.
>and be ready to see questions that test yr ability to read english and trick
>you rather than test what u know.
>anyway i passed.
>
>now what extra do i know as a ccdp as compared to a ccnp?
>ATM switch models and some terms from SNA.

Speaking as someone with substantial experience both in WAN switching
and SNA, the amount of information in the CID course is, at best,
enough to make you dangerous. Speaking as someone without much
experience in Windows networking, I didn't think it gave any useful
insights there.

>nothing more.
>and yes that after implementing a design i need to monitor the setup for
>performance..yes thats a question (pun intended !!)

I can only try to put CID in context.  The most meaningful context
existed before the CCDP certification was introduced.  At that time,
good instructors for CID assumed the slides were simply a jumping-off
point for lecture.

I've had conversation with other instructors who themselves were
experienced network designers, and our consensus was that only 50% or
so of class time was spent on the formal content of the course.  The
remainder was devoted to case studies (NOT part of the exam but an
important part of the course experience), discussion of student
design issues, and relevant materials brought in by the instructor.

For example, I found the core/distribution/access model didn't really
make sense until specific products were mapped against it.  A student
really wouldn't understand when to use which product until they
understood relative processing and forwarding power, which gets
intimately involved with switching paths.  I'd often spend half a day
discussing this.

The more that Cisco has made certification an incentive, the less the
instructor can spend on "irrelevant" material without getting student
complaints that
"this class wasn't optimized to help me pass the exam."  A sad
commentary for something that has as much art to it as good design
does.