>Okay, I have to vent here.  This kind of question really bugs me.  And not
>because of the answer, which I agree with.  It just bugs me because the
>question assumes all routing protocols behave in the exact same way, when in
>fact they do not.  My first thought when I read this question was "Hey - BGP
>prefers external over internal."

Well, I wrote the question, and it was associated with a paper on
IGPs. The challenge questions are a marketing technique -- questions
are extracted from the full question list for the currently
accessible free white paper, and aren't meant to be totally
free-standing.

The situation is more complex in exterior routing--note carefully I
am saying exterior routing, not purely BGP.  Two paradigms apply to
provider routing, hot potato/closest exit and cold potato/best path &
exit.  While it is true that the BGP route selection algorithm does
prefer eBGP to iBGP, real provider routing may include controlled
leaking of external information into internal, assuming a cold potato
model.  In cold potato, you want to keep the path as internal as
possible, because that gives the greatest control, although it is
more resource intensive. Hot potato is less resource intensive but is
associated with far more variable performance.

I think you'll find this distinction drawn more carefully in
questions that were written to accompany the BGP white papers at
CertZone.