Hi,

Brief:

Fast switching is as follows, 1st packet is processed switched, 2 packet to
destination is fast switched. i.e. it never goes through the cpu.

L3 switching , MLS, Multi layer switching, This is based on traffic flows,
ie we could swich on a certain tcp flow, or certain source/detination and
destination port. as defined by access lists.

The three flow masks are as follows:

destination-ip—The least-specific flow mask. The MLS-SE maintains one MLS
entry for each destination IP address. All flows to a given destination IP
address use this MLS entry. This mode is used if there are no access lists
configured on any of the MLS-RP interfaces.

source-destination-ip—The MLS-SE maintains one MLS entry for each source and
destination IP address pair. All flows between a given source and
destination use this MLS entry regardless of the IP protocol ports. This
mode is used if there is a standard access list on any of the MLS-RP
interfaces.

ip-flow—The most-specific flow mask. The MLS-SE creates and maintains a
separate MLS cache entry for every IP flow. An ip-flow entry includes the
source IP address, destination IP address, protocol, and protocol ports.
This mode is used if there is an extended access list on any of the MLS-RP
interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/m
ls.htm#xtocid171391

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/55.html

/Stuart.

         |           |              Stuart Potts
        |||         |||             Customer Support Engineer
    c i s c o S y s t e m s         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 "Empowering the Internet Generation"