>Stuart,
>
>I do not think any packets could be switched without CPU. Fast switching
>needs CPU, it just does not need the CPU to call the ip input process. If
>the router needs to search the routing table, it will need ip input process,
>other than that, the CPU can use cache during one interrupt. As you
>mentioned there are different cache, it all depends on how the router creats
>them.
>Just my 2 cents.
>
>Thanks
>Jack

Distributed CEF, distributed NetFlow, silicon, autonomous, and
arguably optimum switching get at least some of the forwarding out of
the main processor. Typically, the first packet to a destination goes
through the main processor, and creates a cache entry that will be
used for subsequent packets.

  dCEF is a little different, in that it creates FIBs that mirror the
RIB, so, once routing protocols or other mechanisms put a destination
into the RIB, the FIBs change in response. There is no need to wait
for a first packet.

>""Stuart Potts"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  Brief:
>>
>>  Fast switching is as follows, 1st packet is processed switched, 2 packet
>  > destination is fast switched. i.e. it never goes through the cpu.

The fast switched packets do go through the CPU, but their
destination is looked up in a cache that is faster for lookup than
the main routing table. Fast switching, for other reasons, do reduce
the CPU load.