Yes, I fought this one before.......

As configured, everyone coming into the router on a vty cannot telnet into
the router - only through it.

If you need to connect to the router, use the autocommand line on every
username line.

Use one username without the autocommand to access the router.

so something like this:

username test password test
username test autocommand access-enable timeout 5
username happy password happy
username happy autocommand access-enable timeout 5
!
username letmein password cisco

The username "letmein" will be allowed to telnet into the router.

The bummer of course is that the users that should only need to pass through
the router now need two lines of config.

Kevin Wigle