All this means is that the new flash simm is not formatted correctly. When
you send the IOS to the flash using tftpdnld, it will format the flash and
all is ok. No problem with the memory

-----Original Message-----
From: avril mchugh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 March 2001 15:59
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: problem upgrading 2610 flash

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem as I am waiting for
Kingston Technology for over a month to resolve this problem.

I am trying to upgrade a 2610 from 8mb flash to 16 mb flash.  I ordered the
memory expansion kit product no: KCS-F2600/16 from Kingston.  Once the new
chip was installed I received:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

Kingston advised that this is a known problem and that I should be using
bootstrap version 11.3, But I am already running this on the router!

Now I have to wait for them to re-create the problem in the U.S.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Avril