I was afraid you'd ask that.  No, I don't think it would be correct to
describe it as a routing protocol.  The IP addressing is flat, and these
are switches.  Its function is to allow each switch to be addressed using
IP in order to pass management traffic  among them.  The only IP device
outside the "cloud" they can communicate with using IP is the management
station, as I recall.  Each switch can have only one IP address, similar
to the Catalyst products' SC0 interface IP address assignment.

Yes, it is definitely proprietary.  As with many proprietary features,
Cisco is not allowing us to discover very much about it.  It isn't even
clear that we need to know more than they are telling us. Once you assign
IP addresses to the switches and configure the management station with a
"gateway" into the IP relay "cloud," there's no other configuration to do.

There are others on this list who have had more exposure to these
products.  Maybe they can elaborate.

Pamela