Indeed, 3COM has a product called "full-duplex repeater" (what a name...).
This is actually a hybrid of a switch and a repeater: it uses buffering of
incoming
frames and a round-robin method of forwarding them to all egress ports.
However, my question concerns the common device -- no buffering.
How can the port controller on cisco claim it is in full-duplex while it is
in half? Is it possible that 3COM "emulates" full-duplex during
autonegotiation,
and, if yes, what for?