I'm not losing sight of that, actually.  In fact, I mentioned this in an
earlier post.  I'm simply trying to correct the couple of people who
think that D is technically correct.  This is a pretty typical question
for a Cisco test, and you'd definitely want to answer D in that
situation.  However, there were a few people that seemed to think that D
was actually a valid answer given that question, and it isn't.

Splitting hairs, I know, but I just wanted to make sure they understood
my point.

Then again, maybe I need to take a nap!  :-)

Regards,
John

>>> "Neil Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/15/01 2:52:31 PM >>>
I think you are losing sight of the real question, which is right on a
cisco
exam!  That can ONLY be D.  Whether this is the phrasing you would use
in a
production environment is totally irelevant.

Neil Schneider

""John Neiberger"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
sab0b1db.042@fsutil01">news:sab0b1db.042@fsutil01...
> Okay, let's rephrase the question:
>
> You have variably subnetted 172.16.0.0/16 using a /19 mask.  Someone
> working with you is configuring a server to be placed at a remote
> location that is on the 172.16.0.0/19 network, and he asks you for a
> valid host address.
>
> Would you tell him to use 172.16.80.255?  I don't think so.  You
would
> make sure he uses an address from the 172.16.0.0/19 subnet, so it
would
> have to be in the range 172.16.0.1 through 172.16.31.254.
>
> And for the very same reason, I feel that D is not a good answer as
the
> original question is worded.
>
> John

> this is assuming vlsm.  when you have a class network with varibale
> bits in the subnet mask that is different than the default subnet
mask,
> you have multiple subnets and multiple host on each subnet.  This
> question is telling us that there are 3 bits as subnet bits (since
the
> default for class B networks is 16) and the remaining 13 are host
bits.
> This arnagement (172.16.0.0/19) calculates out to be more than one
> subnet and answer d falls in one of the valid subnet ranges.  If
thew
> question was worded differently with a particular subnet such as
> 172.16.30.x/19, then it would not be true.

12:04PM

> [...]
>
> Perhaps one of the answers should have been 172.16.15.255 or
something
> like that.  That would have been tricky yet also correct given the
> question that was being asked.
>
> John

> I think the trick part of question here is that the answer d.
> 172.16.80.255
> seems like a broadcast address because of the 255 (all 1's in the
last

> octec.) So now the test taker faces the dilemna of choosing between
> two
>
> subnetwork addressess and two "broadcast" addresses.
>
> Cisco would want to know if you really know subnetting. Hence, the
> wording
> of the question (which to my opinion is still correct).
>
> Arthur
>

> >From: "John Neiberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Sample CCNA test question..bogus?
> >Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:19:53 -0700
> >
> >I think I'll side with those who say there is no correct answer,
but
> >there is an answer that's closer to being correct than the others.
> :-)
> >
> >The question is asking for a valid host in the 172.16.0.0/19 range.
> >Answer D is not in that range!  It is in the 172.16.64.0/19
network.
> >Valid host addresses in the 172.16.0.0/19 range are:
> >
> >172.16.0.1 through 172.16.31.254
> >
> >I would agree that by making a subtle adjustment to the question,
> >answer D is the only answer possible.  Given a /19 prefix length,
the
> >only possible host address given in the answers is D, which forces
us
> >change the question to fit the answer.
> >
> >This just appears to be a poorly worded question that not only
allows
> >you to figure out the most-correct answer eventually but also
forces
> you
> >to deduce what the actual question is in the first place.  <g>  In
> other
> >words, it's a typical Cisco test question!
> >
> >Regards,
> >John

> >d. 172.16.80.255
> >
> >This belongs to subnet 172.16.64.0 with host range of 172.16.64.1 -
> >172.16.95.254.
> >
> >Arthur
> >

> > >From: "Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >Subject: Sample CCNA test question..bogus?
> > >Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:11:07 +1100
> > >
> > >Q. Which one of the following is a valid host using the address
of
> > >172.16.0.0 /19?
> > >
> > >a. 172.16.32.0
> > >
> > >b. 172.16.64.0
> > >
> > >c. 172.16.63.255
> > >
> > >d. 172.16.80.255
> > >

> > >Which one and why?
> > >
> > >(I say none of them. Am I going mad?)

> >Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]