From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
John Neiberger
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 12:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sample CCNA test question..bogus?

I disagree.  Valid hosts in 172.16.0.0/19 are:

172.16.0.1 through 172.16.31.255

I guarantee you that any other interpretation will make life miserable
for you eventually, especially in a production environment where you
actually use CIDR or VLSM.  A good example would be if you were running
BGP in a production environment that actually connected to the internet.

Let's say you were Joe's ISP and were assigned 172.16.0.0/19.  This is
*very* specific...you can only advertise 172.16.0.1 through
172.16.31.254.  Most likely, 172.16.32.1 through 172.16.63.254 is going
to be assigned to someone else.  If you followed your logic and
advertise the entire 172.16.0.0/16, you will be getting some nasty phone
calls or nastygrams in your email box.  Companies tend to get a little
upset with you if you start advertising their address block.

In that spirit, I assume when a test question says something as
specific as 172.16.0.0/19 that they *really* mean it.

John

>>> "Lowell Sharrah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/15/01 9:54:56 AM >>>
I believe that answer D is correct and here is why

Vaslid hosts in the network 172.16.0.0/19 are as follows

172.16.64.1-172.16.95.254
172.16.128.1-172.16.159.254
172.16.192.1-172.16.223.254
172.16.32.1-172.16.63.265
172.16.160.1-172.16.191.254
172.16.96.1-172.16.127.254
.255 is broadcast

>>> "John Neiberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/15/01 11:19AM

I think I'll side with those who say there is no correct answer, but
there is an answer that's closer to being correct than the others.
:-)

The question is asking for a valid host in the 172.16.0.0/19 range.
Answer D is not in that range!  It is in the 172.16.64.0/19 network.
Valid host addresses in the 172.16.0.0/19 range are:

172.16.0.1 through 172.16.31.254

I would agree that by making a subtle adjustment to the question,
answer D is the only answer possible.  Given a /19 prefix length, the
only possible host address given in the answers is D, which forces us
change the question to fit the answer.

This just appears to be a poorly worded question that not only allows
you to figure out the most-correct answer eventually but also forces
you
to deduce what the actual question is in the first place.  <g>  In
other
words, it's a typical Cisco test question!

Regards,
John

>>> "Arthur Simplina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/15/01 8:46:27 AM >>>
d. 172.16.80.255

This belongs to subnet 172.16.64.0 with host range of 172.16.64.1 -
172.16.95.254.

Arthur