From: John Neiberger
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 5:59 PM
Subject: VLSM, OSPF, and redistribution into IGRP

I'm working through a scenario in the new Sybex CCIE study guide and I can't
get it to work, even using their suggested workaround.  Here's the scenario:

RouterA <--OSPF--> RouterB <--IGRP--> RouterC

RouterA has two different /27 links, one of which is connected to RouterB.
The connecting link is 10.1.2.0/27 and its other link is 10.1.1.32/27.

The link between RouterB and RouterC is a /24, 10.1.3.0.  The purpose of the
scenario is to demonstrate that the /27 networks will not be redistributed
in IGRP because the masks are different on each side of RouterB.  To remedy
this problem, the book suggests summarizing the /27 networks as /24 which
would allow them to be redistributed into a classful protocol.  Following
the instructions, on RouterB I added:

router ospf 1
 area 0 range 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

Supposedly, this would work but it does not.  Closer to their example, I
even tried "area 0 range 10.1.1.32 255.255.255.0".  Am I doing it
incorrectly or is their suggestion wrong?  I worked around this problem by
creating a summarized static route on RouterB and then redistributing
static, but I wanted to make it work like in their example.

So, redistribution gurus, what's the story?  I quickly looked through
Doyle's book and I haven't seen this specific example yet.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
John