OK, maybe I should clarify.

We are in 1 building with  7 departments.  Only 1 department is going to be
using private addresses.  We have a bunch of 3500 series switches connected
to a router, yes we are switched to the desktop.  So I need NAT to
translate so the 1 dept. can do netscape, email, and such in the
outside.  The outside world can't see my internal network for the 1
department, so do  I need a firewall from the outside since they can't
connect using a routeable IP address?  I know if they came into the
building then they could connect.  The other thing is I want home users to
be able to connect to the file server using tunneling. Home users may or
may not have private addresses, it depends on if they are on DSL, ISDN, or
dialup.  Budget would be about $5,000 max. but give or take.  I don't want
this to affect any other departments.  I'd prefer hardware but if software
will do it that's fine too.  Will there be a noticeable difference if using
software vs. hardware for 40 users? One other thing.  They will be using
netscape for both internal and external.  The department is on multiple
switches mixed with other departments.  What's the best way to implement
it?  Thanks.

Ex. diagram
                     ------switch
              |  |   |