Good answer. Another way to look at it is historically. Cisco bought the
company that produced the PIX. Their goal was to offer a scalable and
high-performance enterprise-level firewall.

The Firewall Feature Set comes from the Small-to-Medium Business line of
business at Cisco. Their goal was to offer an easy-to-use,
reasonably-priced set of options for a router in a small to medium
business. The FFS makes setting up access lists easier and it allows for
the access lists to look farther into the packets for upper-layer
information, hence, the Context-Based Access Control or CBAC that
Groupstudy mentioned.

Priscilla