Hi all,

The DLCI's are still of local significance as I understand it.

When the company I belong to provide links we might use 17, 18,19 & 20 at the core
site on line C12345.  At remote end 1 we would most likely use DCLI 17 as the first
instance on each remote site.  For example, remote site 1 could be R11111 on DLCI 17,
remote site 2 could be RG23419 on DCLI.  You could for some reason want to go from
remote sites 1 -> 2 so here you could use R11111 DLCI 18 -> RG23419 DCLI 18.

Basically I like to think of it as a physical line from the frame switch to your site
R11111 the a channel (permanent in most cases) PVC relates to the DCLI eg 17.

Once into the frame switch all the rules change as it could pass down a very different
link on a different PVC between switches.

Frome end to end it could look like

C123245 DLCI 20 -> sw S1234 DLCI 25 -> sw S4567 DLCI 50 -> sw R44444 DLCI 17.

You as a client would only know about C12345 DLCI 20 and R44444 17.

Just a thought I hope helps.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia