Rather than get into a Holy War about why Linux is better than Windows, I
figured I'd just answer your question.

in.tftpd doesn't constantly run like other processes, like a http server, as an
example.

in.tftpd is typically started as needed, and terminated when finished.  The
controlling process is inetd.  The configuration file for inetd can be found at
'/etc/inetd.conf'.

Edit that file...

Scroll down to a line that reads like this (the exact line varies by Linux
distribution):

#tftp           dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd /tftpboot

The # means that this line is commented out.  If you remove the hash mark,
leaving:

tftp           dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd /tftpboot

you will have enabled the tftp service for the box.  The "/tftpboot" reference
refers to the tftp service home directory, so make certain that it exists.  You
can also move the location if you'd like.  Just specify a different path, and
ensure that it exists.

Finally, you need to restart the inetd process, so that it will be aware of that
fact that you want it to manage tftp services.

Do a 'ps ax | grep inetd'.  That will something like:

yavin:/etc# ps ax | grep inet
  252 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
  369 ?        SW     0:00 [rinetd]
 7945 pts/1    S      0:00 grep inet
yavin:/etc#

To restart it, type this:  'kill -HUP [pid]'

In my example, 252 is the pid (Process ID).

I almost forgot...  One thing you also need to check is the directory pemissions
of /tftpboot...

Make sure that the directory is World Readable, and World Writable.  Tftp does
no user authentication, so you have to give global read/write access to it's
directory.  Also, before sending a file up to the tftp server, you will need to
'touch filename'.  Generally, the service will allow you to overwrite a file
that exists, but it will not allow you to create a wholly new file.  Silly,
isn't it?

Best of luck...

Alan