Elijah Savage wrote:

> No holy war here either. But I could not resist the reply to this
> comment. Of course it depends on the administrator of the box, but it
> depends also how you install it. I have never installed a linux box with
> ftp or telnet by default(openssh). Because these boxes I setup are
> usually dns or web servers you can install them so that they run in a
> chrooted environments which tends to be a tad bit more secure. This is
> one reason I like nix over any win platform because I can install what I
> want and how I want it, which usually makes a nix box more secure than
> any win platform. So to me how I stated above nix is more secure, but of
> course you have to know what you are doing. You probably will say well
> this is not a base install. And my reply is well if you do a custom
> install which you can do right out of the box without recompiling the
> kernel or anything fancy nix will me more secure than win32 platforms
> out of the box. I would like to see a custom install on win32 instead of
> click here to continue.

These examples prove my point.  You have provided examples of a properly
configured system.  These are not, however, the norm.  You can just as
secure a Win32 system, maybe not during the installation process, but
does that make a difference?  Most Unix systems require alot of post-
installation work to be secured, so the difference is moot.  And just
for an FYI, I am a Sun Certified SysAdmin and Network Admin, as well as
a IBM Certified AIX admin, so I feel I know a thing or two about Unix.