I colleague of mine has a network connecting two routers with redundant serial
links. These serial links happen to reside in the same subnet as follows:

   Router
A                                                                        Router
S0 - 192.1.67.1/24 ----------------------------- 192.1.67.201/24  - S0
S1 - 192.1.67.2/24 ----------------------------- 192.1.67.202/14  - S1

Both Routers are running RIP.

When both links are up, network is very sluggish and ping works intermittently
(anywhere from 40%-70% of the time) between Routers A & B.  When either link is
shut down (only one link is up at a time), pings work 100% of the time.

I'm suspecting that having both serial links in the same subnet is creating
problems.  First of all, can you even do this?  Secondly, if you can put both
serial 0 & 1 in the same subnet, is this creating a layer-2 bridge-loop
environment?

I think that putting each serial link in a separate sub-net should solve the
problem, but I don't have access to any equipment to test this.

Am I correct or off-base??  Any definitive feedback would be great.  Any links
to spell out the issues with this scenario would also be helpful.

thanks,
dj