If your configuration just says "router rip" then it is version 1. If the
next line says version 2 - bingo! To see if your version of IOS supports
version 2 try the old "?".
2523(config)#router rip
2523(config-router)#?
Router configuration commands:
  auto-summary            Enable automatic network number summarization
.
.
  version                 Set routing protocol version
2523(config-router)#version ?
  <1-2>  version

You can also use the following. This is version 1
2523#sh ip protocols
Routing Protocol is "rip"
  Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 26 seconds
  Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
  Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is
  Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is
  Redistributing: rip
  Default version control: send version 1, receive any version
    Interface        Send  Recv   Key-chain
    TokenRing0       1     1 2
  Routing for Networks:
    192.168.2.0
    192.168.3.0
  Routing Information Sources:
    Gateway         Distance      Last Update
  Distance: (default is 120)

This is version 2

2523#sh ip protocols
Routing Protocol is "rip"
  Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 18 seconds
  Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
  Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is
  Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is
  Redistributing: rip
  Default version control: send version 2, receive version 2
    Interface        Send  Recv   Key-chain
    TokenRing0       2     2
  Routing for Networks:
    192.168.2.0
    192.168.3.0
  Routing Information Sources:
    Gateway         Distance      Last Update

.sdca.home.com