<DIV>I have setup 2 routers with a back-to-back cable. When I setup the serial int.
with ppp encap. I can ping the other router and vice-versa. But when I setup the
username and password and add the command #ppp auth pap, the line prot. goes down. I
setup&nbsp;#debug ppp nego and one of the debug output reads,&nbsp;"Closing connection
as remote router cannot authenticate". I&nbsp;made sure that the hostnames were setup
correctly and the passwords were the same(cisco).&nbsp;What could be the possible
reason why the serial int.&nbsp;shows line prot&nbsp;down(sh ip int brie). Please
advise. </DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN
Explorer at <a