are you using the ppp pap sent username command?? Otherwise it sounds as
though the usernames and passwords may be wrong.. What is the output of the
debug ppp auth??

-----Original Message-----
From: Niraj Palikhey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 26 March 2001 14:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Line prot. down with ppp auth pap command?

<DIV>I have setup 2 routers with a back-to-back cable. When I setup the
serial int. with ppp encap. I can ping the other router and vice-versa. But
when I setup the username and password and add the command #ppp auth pap,
the line prot. goes down. I setup&nbsp;#debug ppp nego and one of the debug
output reads,&nbsp;"Closing connection as remote router cannot
authenticate". I&nbsp;made sure that the hostnames were setup correctly and
the passwords were the same(cisco).&nbsp;What could be the possible reason
why the serial int.&nbsp;shows line prot&nbsp;down(sh ip int brie). Please
advise. </DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE
download of MSN Explorer at <a