Hello,

         Well, it depends what type of transmission problem occurs. If a
CRC failure occurs on the serial link depending upon the protocol being
used between devices then that data may or may not be re-transmitted.
However, if either error checking is not present, or the devices do not
notice a problem, then the sending host will re-transmit packets per TCP/IP
standard. The receiving host will actually request the re-transmission. But
like I said, if a CRC error were to occur in a serial line protocol then
neither host would be the wiser, and it would the routers would re-transmit.

Brandon Ripper -ccna