There are a few ways to go about this.

1)You can run a stripped down (running minimal and only required services)
Linux box serving only SSH connections and you can use that machine to login
into your PIX (allowing your PIX to only accept connections from this SSH
server) and perform administration.
2) Or...you can just run the PIX and I think you can also run a TACACS+
server with it to authenticate encrypted passwords and logins, or run
encryption on the PIX itself.  I could be mistaken, but I know something
like that would probably work best.

But the thing that people have to understand is, that *no one* can
absolutely guarantee that anything can't be compromised.  It will always be
a 99.999....% chance that it will be secure.  It all depends on how the
firewall you choose is set up.  Anything is breakable.

But in my opinion, I would recommend running a hardware firewall solution
such as the PIX or equivalent because the device is specifically made to run
the firewalling processes.  Unlike a Linux/Unix/NT box with a software-based
firewall system such as Checkpoint, etc. a hardware solution does not have
the OS overhead with services that firewalling does not require and also
exploits and patches that you need to constantly be up to date about, issues
that others have already mentioned.  It just comes down to how much money
you want to spend and also what you prefer.  I may prefer the Cisco PIX, but
I have friends that recommend a home-grown Unix box solution.

Just trying to help,
Roger