From: "Sean Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: Performance Comparision between Linux OS Firewall and Cisco PIX
525

> Sigh...inline comments
>

> >From: "Allen May" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Sean Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Performance Comparision between Linux OS Firewall and Cisco
> >PIX 525
> >Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:55:57 -0600
> >
> >Sigh...inline comments:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 2:42 PM
> >Subject: Re: Performance Comparision between Linux OS Firewall and Cisco
> >PIX
> >525
> >

> > > Allen,
> > > If SSH service is not open on the outside interface, how do you expect
> > > to troubleshoot the problem when there is problem with the Firewall?
> >VPN, dial-up modem, terminal server, ACLs, etc.  If they find your
password
> >or someone knows it & get in, does IDS tell you?
>
> Dial-up modem.  Istn't there a war-dialer that can hack your system.
> Another thing, isn't the VPN also has a public interface as well? what
> about if your VPN has been compromised?  Ever thought about that?

I'm a security administrator.  Of course I've thought of that.
1)  No it does not have a public interface.  It has a virtual IP with only
vpn ports opened to it.  ACL only allows certain source IP's to even access
it.  You have to have username/password just to get into VPN and even then,
TACACS+ or RADIUS limits the commands you can type from that point.  It's an
added layer of security that they have to get passed before even being able
to SSH or telnet to the firewall.  This forces them to have 3
username/password combinations and get through ACL without disabling the
account they're trying to use.  This is simply another layer of security you
would have.

2)  War dialers don't do any good when it's AAA-authentication with TACACS+.
The account is disabled after X attempts.  See following comment about IDS
as well.  Besides, why use that argument when you've got SSH wide open to
the entire internet?  Also how are they going to get your phone #?  Same way
they would have to get the password.  Again, another layer of security I
simply suggested.

3)  IDS tells me when a VPN user establishes a connection with the firewall
when configured.  That's what I said in the first email.  If you have it,
set it up to notify you even of successful attempts.  It's another layer of
security you could possibly use instead of just SSH enabled to the world.

> > > Tell me this, how can you troubleshoot a PIX remotely when there is
> > > problem? My employer is certainly not going to fly me out-of-state to
> >fix
> > > minor problem.
> >See above answer.
> >
> > >Furthermore, can you absolutely guarantee me, in writing,
> > > that the Cisco PIX
> > > can never be compromised?
> >No guarantee but it's claimed to have never been compromised unless the
> >attacker had inside access (physical, vpn, etc) and knew the password and
> >the user was careless enough to not implement ACL.  On the other hand,
read
> >up on security on Linux for yourself.  Redhat was the #1 hacked operating
> >system (even surpassed Windows last I read).
>
> Ever heard of Linux Router Project.  What make you think that I am running
> RedHat?  Ever heard of NetBSD?  It is even more secure than
> PIX

I mentioned vulnerabilites in Redhat as an example not knowing what you were
using.  Regardless, it's a full blown OS that when compromised, someone can
install any service they like.  Please send the link stating it's more
secure than PIX.  I want to see how someone can install a packet sniffer on
a PIX when they know my  password.

> > >Another thing, what makes you think that I am
> > > also running other services besides Firewall features on Linux.  If
you
> > > read my email carefully, you also notice that I only SSH and netfilter
> > > (aka iptables) on the Firewall
> >I read that part.  Thats why I said root or sudo access allows a user to
> >install other services.  A Cisco IOS does not.  It's easy to add a new
> >service if you have access to do it.  You can even install via ftp.
> >
> Now how do you plan getting my root password?

I'm not.  But it's easy.  You the only one that knows it?  Is it written
down somewhere?  It's amazing what disgruntled employees would do for a nice
little check from an outside source.  That's a risk involved with any
operating system or piece of hardware.  However, with ACL allowing certain
source IPs, how are they going to use it on the PIX?  You have the outside
interface SSH enabled.  I was simply stating that this is dangerous and you
should consider another way in.  If it loses IP configuration, how are you
going to SSH to it to fix it?  That's where a modem would come in handy.

> > >Your reason is based purely on FUD
> > > (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).
> >It's based on 12 years experience and working as security administrator
at
> >an ISP where we've had many DSL users complain about their Linux boxes
> >being
> >hacked.  Some find out they've been hacked after someone on the internet
> >had
> >reports of porn sites running on their compromised system.  Users who
> >purchased a PIX and allowed us to manage it have not been hacked even one
> >time so far.
>
> That is because they don't know what they are doing.  How do you know
> that Cisco PIX doesn't have any security holes.  Did you read about Cisco
> IOS devices having security regarding ISN security hole in it?  What
> make you think that PIX doesn't have this problem?  Based on what the
> vendors tell you?  I would take their word with a grain of salt.

Again, PIX does not have a full blown operating system.  That was my entire
argument to begin with.  Cisco does have holes discovered occasionally.  All
security holes discovered have been fixed promptly and as far as I know,
there haven't been any new ones found.

> >I ain't skeered ;)  I was trying to let you know the vulnerabilities you
> >might have and allow you to take precautions.  If you're going to be that
> >way about it, you can learn on your own the hard way when you have to fly
> >out there to fix a compromised system or failed hard drive.  From your
> >reply
> >you either didn't read my reply carefully or didn't even understand it.
> >
> Every systems has it good and bad.  It is up to us to decide.  If I am
> educated about Linux and its capabilities and limitation, I think the
> system can be a very effective Firewall.

Of course it can and I never said it couldn't.  But it's still a full blown
OS with a hard drive that can fail.  I know other hardware can fail in
either system, but a hard drive is the only thing besides the fan that has
moving parts.  Also even as a good Linux admin, you should be open minded to
people educated in security to secure your box even further.  Just because
someone isn't using what you use and tells you to watch for certain caveats
doesn't mean they're against you.  This is a group of individuals who help
each other out and I try to do my part.  If you don't want it just say so &
learn on your own.

> Just my 2 cents.
> Sean
> > >
> > > Sean