>Cisco routers employ 'hearself' on the serial
>interfaces. A look at CCO should explain the details
>and help you understand the specifics for this
>problem.

Something very profound is lurking here.  For some time, I have
suspected that those responsible for 802.3 autonegotiation amd
autodetect also believe that communication between the genders is
intuitive.  This feature adds to that trend, as it generally can be
assumed that each gender can hearself, but not necessarily hear other.

It has been said, however,

    "If a man speaks in an empty forest, where there is no woman to hear
     him, is he still wrong?"

and,

    "If a woman speaks in an empty forest, where there is no man to hear
     her, is she still nagging?"

Alternatively, do Real Men (TM) ever query directory servers?