One thing I didn't try, which you might be alluding to, is allowing OSPF
to advertise the default (which was causing classless behavior) but then
also manually add a static default on router B.  I have not tried that
yet.  I did try the manual static default route without OSPF advertising
the default and the router behaved classfully.

Then, as you suggest, I could change the distance on the manually added
default to see what happens.  So, there are two more things to try right
there.

You're right Bob, this just keeps going and going and going....  I just
want to hear someone from Cisco say "Whoops, didn't we tell you about
that?  Sorry, forgot...we'll go document that feature now."

Either that or I want to find out I've been missing something this
whole time.  Certainly I can't be the first person to notice this,
especially since I've tried this with older IOS versions.

>>> "Bob Vance" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/29/01 9:53:36 AM >>>
Excellent !!
This is like the Energizer Bunny!

Hmmm.
You already tested adding a static default route (with lower admin
distance) and it changed the classless behavior, right?
Then you deleted the static and classless returned.

Just for completeness :) , it might be mildly interesting to add the
static with a higher admin than OSPF -- it won't show up in the
routing
table and thus it shouldn't change the classless behavior like the
lower
admin one did -- or would it ;>)
Also, allow OSPF also to advertise the default, along with RIP, and
see
that since the OSPF route is in the table, it still subverts to
classless even though it knows that it also received a RIP route that
it
is currently ignoring.

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511