Okay, here are my latest findings.  Bob and others wanted me to try various
supernet routes to see how the routers reacted.  Well, I did, and the router
with 'no ip classless' is definitely behaving classlessly when OSPF is
running.

First, a recap.  I have router A connected to router B and am running OSPF.
Router A is originating a default route, and Router B has 'no ip classless'
configured.  The prefix for the link is 10.1.1.0/24.

By all official explanations of 'no ip classless', in this scenario if I
tried to ping an unknown subnet of 10.0.0.0/8, it would fail and debugging
would show that the packets were unroutable.  This is true when I used RIP
v1, RIP v2, IGRP, and EIGRP.  However, when I use OSPF it's a whole 'nuther
story!  It shouldn't matter how the routes are installed, but for some
reason, Router B behaves as if 'ip classless' were configured if I run OSPF.

Tonight, I first tried the original experiment and originated 0.0.0.0/0.
Router B behaved classlessly and would route packets for ANY destination to
Router A.

Next, I tried redistributing the static route for 10.0.0.0/8.  Packets for
any subnet of 10.0.0.0/8 would be routed, all other destinations would fail.
Again, classless behavior.

Thirdly, I redistributed a route for 8.0.0.0/5 just for grins.  Packets
destined for anything in that range were routed (8.0.0.0/8 throught
11.0.0.0/8) but all other unknown subnets failed.

Aggggh!!  I've tried this on two different routers and three different IOS
versions and I get the same results.  Where is it written that when OSPF is
running that the router will now behave classlessly in spite of 'no ip
classless' being in the configuration?

I guess I have no problem with this, I just wish they would document it
somewhere.  If someone would like to try these tests to verify the results
I'd appreciate it.  I'd love to get some verification so I know I'm not just
losing my mind.

Thanks!
John