How's about a little 'real-life' observation on a 515UR/failover package:

Problem:
external limited to ~850Kbit/s since install. Normal range, 2.5-3.5Mbits/s
internal ether on 515 does not exceed 140-160KBytes/s
internal ether has unusual number of IP transport retransmissions.
no apparent loops/collisions/protocol/hardware problems (Fluke OneTouch)
external ether on 515 sends 2.5Mbits/s+ to external IMux'ed T1's fine.
        load: well under specs.
        no NAT
        5.3

internal -- hub/switch -- 100Mb/full -- 515 -- 10BaseT --border router
--T1X3 --external

N.G. Sniffer on internal and external side of 515.  Fluke OneTouch as well.

Somehow, it seems that, despite the theoretical, this PIX is throttling the
bandwidth at around 850Kbits/s.  The MRTG graph is most unusual and
certainly shows the pattern of a throttle of some  sort.  Plateau shape, no
spikes.  Config normal, as far as a couple of us can tell, certainly nothing
bazaar.  I've tried disabling the failover, yes.  No NAT *may*, I've heard
speculation, need another kind of treatment.  Seems like  '0 0 0 0' with
statics wouldn't kill the throughput...

How or why it's down that has been a baffler for a couple of days/nights.
Maybe it's broke.

If anyone might have a suggestion on what to look for ('show <what?>)|(debug
<what?>) I'd listen.  Otherwise, handy syslog indicates the thing is doing
it's job.  A "must have" device.

However, to keep internal peace, I may have to not have until I can get a
solution.

Best, G.